Thursday, March 24, 2011

Meal Planning

I recently discovered that Giant has an online circular which becomes available on the Thursday before the next week.  G and I have been trying to, a) cook more at home, and b) cut down on our food expenses.  I didn't really realize how much money can go into eating - if we just stayed home and didn't order/eat out during the week, we could save a considerable amount of money.  Hence, my new activity: meal planning.

There's a certain point where it hits you that you're not just a college student any more.  Stopping at a take out place makes a bigger impact on your budget because suddenly, money gets a lot more real.  I feel like handling money wisely is a big part of being a grownup.  (I suppose I should say, "adult," now - but I still don't feel like one!)

So, next week, we'll be having:

Curried chicken with Basmati rice, potatoes, onion, and cauliflower (have everything but chicken and curry sauce, might make the sauce from scratch)
Whole wheat/rice pasta with red sauce and Italian sausage (just need sausage)
Shrimp stir-fry (already have)
Sausage, egg, and cheese bagel sandwiches (breakfast for dinner!  Have eggs)

I think if I really consider what I have in the house, I can make a lot of meals without buying a lot of groceries.  HouseHon success!  And if I make big batches of everything, G's lunches are taken care of.

Next up for the day: going to work.  If anyone wants to drop in on Williams-Sonoma today, please feel free!

No comments:

Post a Comment